Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Dating 604e's and 288C's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Dating 604e's and 288C's

    Hi

    Just curious to try to date various 604e units I have.

    I've seen two differing labels and 'names'.

    ALTEC
    Model 604e
    Duplex

    With codes of(under HF cover) 391505


    and


    Altec
    Lansing
    SuperDuplex
    604E

    With codes of 391949, 391239, 391648


    These date codes seem to cross over each other in the 60's.


    Also with 288C's, some I have the larger writing on the rear cover with ALTEC, then Lansing Corporation under it. Others have smaller writing ALTEC and Lansing.

    Can anyone shed some light, especially on the 604s.

    Nat

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dating 604e's and 288C's

    The 6-digit 391XXX numbers are your EIA date codes.

    391 means Altec mfr

    4th digit is the last number of the year. 9 could be '59, '69, etc, so you have to know approximately when the model series was made.

    5th & 6th digits are the week of the year.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Dating 604e's and 288C's


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Dating 604e's and 288C's

    Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    Hi

    Just curious to try to date various 604e units I have.

    I've seen two differing labels and 'names'.

    ALTEC
    Model 604e
    Duplex

    With codes of(under HF cover) 391505


    and


    Altec
    Lansing
    SuperDuplex
    604E

    With codes of 391949, 391239, 391648



    1962 would be too early for a 604E. Has to be 72. The others are easy, since the "E" was way gone by '76. And of course no way 56.

    Altec Lansing Corp is older. Altec then became Altec Division, LTV. Then Altec Corporation. Then Altec division of Musical Chairs Corporation.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dating 604e's and 288C's

    Ok then does that mean the Model 604E labelled one with 391505 is 5th week of 65 or 75? It is then either the oldest or the newest, so to speak.

    The crossover(original 604e ones) on the 391239 has 72 marked on it, 7211 i think, so 1972 fits there.

    The crossover for the ones labelled Model 604E are 7423 making them either the later one, or a mismatched Xover.

    Any info on the 288 writing?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Dating 604e's and 288C's


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Dating 604e's and 288C's

    Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    Ok then does that mean the Model 604E labelled one with 391505 is 5th week of 65 or 75? It is then either the oldest or the newest, so to speak.

    The crossover(original 604e ones) on the 391239 has 72 marked on it, 7211 i think, so 1972 fits there.

    The crossover for the ones labelled Model 604E are 7423 making them either the later one, or a mismatched Xover.

    Any info on the 288 writing?
    Way gone by 76...way gone by more than a year. I think Altec was doing "G" or maybe even "H" models by then. So IMHO just plain no way 75. I'd bet a portrait of Ben Franklin on it...

    In the early 70's I was flying back and forth..I liquidated a lot of stock for Altec, they had hundreds of surplus 290E's from Vietnam, sadly thousands were probably left there...

    The crossovers were not put with speakers when they were made. Remember Altec was emerging from the LTV bankruptcy. It is not uncommon to see late 60's speakers with early 70's crossovers.

    I have not used many 288C's but let me look again at what you posted and I'll be back to do an addendum.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.